1 gallon raw milk, skimmed or whole
1 c. whole milk yogurt
1/4 c. vinegar
salt to taste (probably about 2 tsp.)
Stainless steel pot with lid.
Colander or sieve
2 Cotton porous towels
Steel stirring spoon
1. Bring 1 gal. whole raw milk to 90F, add 1 c. whole milk yogurt, cover, and let sit 4 hours.
2. Raise temp of milk slowly to 100-ish so that it doesn’t pass 104F (that’s the definition of raw milk cheese, below 104.)
3. Add 1/4 vinegar, let sit about 30 min. for curd to form.
4. Strain into colander lined with porous towel, not cheesecloth. (Mix in salt, if you want it.) Hang and let drain, then squeeze dry.
5. Store wrapped in a towel in fridge overnight and that will dry it more. After I did this, it was crumbly just like the queso fresco at the store. I made chiliquiles (fried tortillas, salsa, eggs) for breakfast with it and it was awesome.
Made this way, your cheese is both RAW (unpasteurized) AND cultured!