After several failed attempts at my husband’s favorite dessert, he finally found me a recipe he trusted on YouTube. I never liked flan before trying this one, and now I LOVE it. It tastes and acts more like cheesecake than the flans I’ve tested. We have been making this recipe for about a year now and it’s easily become a family favorite. It’s simple to make and you always have the ingredients on hand!
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
3/4 c. cream cheese
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. cornstarch or arrowroot powder
3/4 c. sugar
1. Find a square or rectangular baking dish that your pie plate will fit inside of. Fill it 1 inch full with water and set aside.
2. In a 9″ cake pan or pie dish (I used Calphalon 9″ cake pan with a 3″ rim) “melt” the sugar over medium heat until it turns liquid and golden brown. Stir continuously. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a blender, pour the remaining ingredients, blend very well on high. Pour mix on top of caramelized sugar and then cover with foil. Place covered pie dish inside of water bath, and cook in oven 1 hour and 20 minutes.
4. Remove from water bath to a rack, discard water. Find a dish that you can invert the flan onto that will catch the caramely juices, too. It should be wider than your pie plate by at least one inch and deeper than a dinner plate. I have used flat skillets, cookie sheets, you name it. If you have a fancy serving dish, please use that and be more tasteful than I :). Place dish on top of pie plate. Hold at the rim, and flip! Fast! Center and make pretty, then taste the pieces left in the pan.
5. Refrigerate 2-3 hours and serve!
Serves 1 slice to 8 people.